Skip to main content

Turmeric buns with sourdough starter and bake in the pan

Another day in the hot sunny kitchen here in Kolkata. The weather is super warm and it is good weather to bring the sourdough starter on action.

Here I am with a limited equipment and want to do my hobby which is baking bread.

Turmeric buns are baked on thefrying pan

The ingredients are pretty the same with the previous buns baked on the stove.

Starter feeding:
2 tbsp starter – 50 gr from the fridge
1 tbsp whole wheat flour -20 gr
2 tbsp all purpose flour / bread flour – 40 gr
3 tbsp water – 40 ml
Consistency starter – not too thick and not too watery. After feeding, I left the starter for 2 hours in room temperature.  


Then I mixed it with the next ingredients as below: 

2 tbsp whole wheat flour – 30 gr
3 tbsp all purpose flour / bread flour – 75 gr
All starter ingredients from above
3/4 cup - 1 cup water – 125 - 150 ml
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
Consistency dough – a bit sticky dough

Let the dough autolyse in room temperature for ½ hour, placed it in the fridge and cover with wet towel. Before I went to sleep, I folded the dough two times. Let it be in the fridge overnight.

The next morning, the dough has doubled in volume. I took out into the counter.

I divided them into four buns and shape it into a ball. 


I did final proofing on the chopping board with lightly flour dusted for two hours.
The dough after one hour proofing


The dough after two hours proofing
Time to bake on the frying pan.The disadvantage baking of frying pan is I cannot get the good shape of bun because I have to flip it over to bake it evenly.

Bake it in lower temperature for 5-8 minutes each side, then the side of the bread for 3 minutes.

The appearance of bread after baking. 

The appearance of inner side of bread


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Martabak using sourdough starter

Martabak Murtabak or martabak is a stuffed pancake or pan-fried bread which is commonly found in Saudi Arabia, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand and Brunei. (resource:wikipedia.com) The sweet martabak is spread with butter/margarine, sugar, crushed peanuts, chocolate sprinkles, cheese and other toppings. Before serving, the martabak is folded in half, so the toppings get in the middle of martabak.

Sourdough oats bread

Sourdough oats bread The new year 2018 is coming, i have not updated my blog for long time. I have been doing some new metod of baking sourdough bread.

Brötchen - homemade bun

Back to Germany for vacation It is the family bonding time. I love to bake at home. This time, I try to bake Brötchen which is known as bread bun.